Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Food @ ILP

People have major concern about the food when going to a new place. Every state in India has got a different style of food. In North, people eat more wheat, whereas in South, the intake of rice is more. My experience about food was not that great. But I’d like to share few points which can throw some light on this tasty topic.

Let me start from the breakfast. Everyday you have your breakfast in the training centre premises. Let me tell you that you need to pay for this. TCS provides it at subsidized rates. You get Idli Sambar, Bread Omlet, Puri Bhaji, Uttapam, Pesarattu, Tomato Bath, Maisore Bhajji, Pongal and some other stuff (I don’t remember all). Pesarattu was the most pathetic thing I’ve ever eaten (Sorry South-Indian friends, but personally I didn’t like it). Apart from this, you get fresh fruit juices and milk shakes like Mosambi juice, Pineapple juice, Watermelon juice, grape juice, mixed-fruit juice, banana milk shake etc. at Rs.10/- per glass. You have to get coupons for all this. You cannot exchange food coupons for juice and vice versa. You can also have tea/coffee any time of the day (coffee vending machine is available 24 hrs a day; the only constraint is availability of the cups :))

Some of the information about the food here can be specific to Hyderabad; but at all other ILP locations the picture is fairly similar.

You have an hour’s break for the lunch. We had to buy food coupons for Rs.23/- everyday (what an odd figure, I was frustrated to get those 3 rupees change everyday). Lunch was good. It contained roti, sabji, rice, dal, curd and some papad like stuff (we used to call it “Ponga Pandit”; don’t ask me why…). We required lots of efforts for eating those rotis. (They should have provided us with an axe along with the roti ;-)). Let me tell you that there is neither A.C. nor fans in the canteen. Most of the people (including me) preferred sitting outside on the rocks in the premises. (Note: “On the rocks” has a literal meaning here)

I must mention here about the evening snacks we used to have. In Madhapur (a place at 20 mins distance from our hotel), we used to go for having tea/coffee and some snacks. We found out a small hotel where we got delicious hot Bhajiya, Maisoor Bonda (a kind of Bhajiya only) and other good stuff. People going to Hyderabad for their ILP would like to go to this place. It’s opposite Madhapur petrol pump.

If you ask me about the dinner, you are free to have it anywhere you wish. You can have your dinner at hotel or you may hunt for good restaurants of your taste. I used to take my dinner in the hotel itself. First 3-4 days I went outside in the search of a good place for North Indian food, but alas! I ended up getting only rice, rice and rice. (Well, I don’t hate rice, but “only rice and no roti” brought me to the decision of having dinner at hotel). Hotel dinner was a bit better than eating only rice outside. But there also the problem was not over. The dinner contents used to be the same everyday. You can imagine consuming the same thing with same taste everyday without any variety. For a change, you can go out to a restaurant. In Hyderabad, there are nice restaurants around. Few of them are Angeethi, Keshav Reddy, Amaravati, Olive Garden, Ginger Court, Paradise, Panjab ki Rasoi, Hyderabad House, Chilly-Pepper, Chutney’s and many more. Well, you could have visualized our hunt for the food by now. Amongst all these, I personally recommend Angeethi. It’s a nice Panjabi restaurant with very eye-catching ambience. Service and food, both are good. Prices are affordable and they have buffet system, except for Sundays. Paradise and Hyderabad House are good for Hyderabadi Biryani. Chutney’s is an exceptional South Indian restaurant with scrumptious food.

Well, after so much writing about food, I’m feeling quite hungry :-) I’ll take a break here and wish you all very happy days for your taste buds during ILP.

19 comments:

Rahul ....aka Alonso said...

thanx for the info

Nitin said...

gives me a good idea of what to expect when i goto trivandrum...hope it is atleast the same or better than hyd.

if u have any info abt the trivandrum ILP..please tell me...

and one more thing...

Happy Independence Day!! Jai Hind!!

rahul said...

even i am hungry after readin dat ...:) lookin frwd to ilp@hyd

komal said...

hey thanks a lot abt the information
i will remember to carry an axe with me to eat those rotis

Anonymous said...

Hey awesome!! This is going to help me a lot....Am 15th October 07 Hyderabad

Lakshmi Narayana said...

nice 1 dude. waiting 4 another blog frm u..................

Anonymous said...

Gr8 job..
thanx 4 all the info..
I have read ur blogs related to ILP
and find them quite helpful...
Could u give some details about the exams that are taken during ILP..i.e.mid term & end term..
what sort of qs?
area covered?
area most stressed upon(swe,pl,dbms,data structures,Unix??)
books recommended??
marks?
difficulty?
I have my ILP scheduled on 22nd oct at TVM hope u reply soon..

SKU said...

Hii dude.... can i have the email address of the HR at Hyderabad... its really urgent matter......

ILP Days... said...

Hi Arun,

I don't have HR's email id but u can contact Ms. Indu Nair (09846906122). She is the ILP co-ordinator for Hyderabad.

Anonymous said...

I really enjyd ur posting abt Food. So, it's going 2 b tough for us to survive...
Tell me 1 thing: How many students live in 1 room? Room has AC/Cooler? wht other facilities are available there?
Hope 2 get reply from U soon....

ILP Days... said...

Hi Yusuf Azad,

2 candidates shared a room. There was not A/C in the room. This is what we had in Hyderabad, but the picture is fairly similar at other ILP locations. For further details, you may read my post on “Accommodation” in this blog.

Vishal Aggarwal said...

Hey bro... thanx for all these replies, these really helped my getting an overview of wt wud b like during the ILP... I have one might be strange question, it is , are light colored trousers considered as formal... and do you know anything regarding food at ILP in trivendrum... thanx for your help so far... :-)

ILP Days... said...

Hi Vishal,

There is no hard & fast rule as such. It goes like this...generally you wear light shirt with dark trousers. You wear socks that matches the color (or u can say 'the shade') of the trousers. Generally it is not considered a good practice to wear white (or light colored) socks. So, we should try avoiding wearing light colored trousers as well (to match with the socks).

It has got a practical implication too. If you wear light colored trousers, they get dirty quickly as compared to dark colored trousers. Well, hope that answers your question.

And sorry dude, no idea about the food @ Trivandrum

Vishal Aggarwal said...

Hey bro, First of all I wanna thank you for answering so many of my queries , I got another trouble...
I have got joining in trivendrum frm 20 sept, now problem is that TCS has required Birth cerificate while joining, now thing is I'm having one, but it is without name and in punjabi, and another trouble is that in punjab it is not allowed to enter a new name after 15 years of age, so if i try to go legally, I really can't do anything..... so, can you please tell me if it wud b OK for me to come with that birth cerificate.... or can you please give me cell no. of someone who can answer this question of mine...... I wud be really really thankful to you..... and please try to reply soooon......!!!!!!!!. ..... thanx again buddy................

ILP Days... said...

Hi Vishal,

Many people have similar problems with the birth certificate. Well, what you can do is get a bonafide certificate from an authorized person and submit it along with your birth certificate. That should suffice.

Tania Basu said...

U provided v imp infos abt food..... Can u just tell me 1thing... Do u rmbr ne place(restraurant/hotel) @hydrbd whr bengali food is available n dat too at reasnable rates?

ILP Days... said...

Hi Tania,

Sorry, but I did not come across any Bengali restaurant there. But we had been to Durga Pooja one day where we had scrumptious Bengali khichadi (Bengali guys call it as "Khichudi" I guess. Please correct me if I am wrong)

Tania Basu said...

I dint hv ne idea dat hydbd ppl celebrte Durga Puja too!! i thot i wl b missing Durga Puja altogether dis time fr d first time in my life....but Thank God i can hav a little essence of it there in Hybd too....so thanx fr d info....can u specify d locations whr u saw Durga Puja, so that me n my bengali frnds wl sure visit there.

n yes u spelled it right! its KhichuRi....one of the easiest n delicious recipe. :)

ILP Days... said...

Hi Tania,

I don't remember the exact place, but Durga Puja is celebrated all over the city by various groups. There are Bangalee Associations in Hyderabad who organize it. You can find details of those associations on the Internet.